Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fun with Summer Vegetables: Heirloom Tomato Edition

(actually, tomatoes are a fruit)
I heart heirloom tomatoes. I love how awesome they taste, how unfilled with E. Coli they are, and how each one looks a little bootleg. Some of them look like they're not really ripe yet, while others kind of look like they've been stepped on or manhandled by the growers. But fear not, heirloom tomato newbies. They're not rotting, they're delicious! So, imagine my glee when I saw them in Wegman's yesterday. Seriously, I geek out over tomatoes every chance I get. I love those red (and multi-colored) bastards. Clearly, they were screaming out to me: "Buy Me!! Mix us with that delicious zucchini over there and add some pasta!" Who am I to ignore the cries of tasty tomatoes wanting to be eaten?
Photobucket
Summer Pasta:
1/2 lb whole wheat pasta (I like the Trader Joe's whole wheat pasta with flax)
olive oil
1 lb zucchini, chopped however you like to chop it
Two cloves of garlic, finely chopped
About 1 pint of heirloom tomatoes (the small ones), halved (or quartered if they're on the bigger side)
3 tbsp whatever fresh herbs you have around, I used parsley and tarragon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and Pepper

1. Boil water for the pasta, salt it, and cook the pasta to a nice al dente
2. While the pasta cooks, saute the zucchini in the olive oil until slightly browned and tender.
3. Add the garlic and saute for about two minutes.
4. Turn off the heat, add the tomatoes, herbs, and lemon juice.
5. Add the pasta and a little pasta water, stir to combine and season to taste.

This would also be delicious with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese atop it, or, maybe even with some shrimp or grilled chicken added.

Makes about 4 servings, if you eat some delicious toasted baguette with it.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ooo... tomatoes, zucchini, pasta, and olive oil. How can one go wrong? YUM!